Kidney Stone Causes & Treatments
Urinate without the Urge to Scream
“The pain of passing a kidney stone is worse than childbirth,” says mother Leslie Kimball (1). “The pain is like taking a knife to your gut from the inside,” she continues. Can you relate?
More than 1 in 10 men and 1 in 20 (2) women will suffer from painful kidney stones. If you are experiencing the terrifying effects and excruciating pain of kidney stones passing through your body, take a step towards relief with Dr. Paul Kenworthy Urology.Request an Appointment
What are Kidney Stones Doing to Your Body?
Kidney stones are hard mineral deposits that form inside your kidneys. The size of these “stones” range from a grain of sand to a golf ball. If kidney stones have developed in your body, they will need to pass through your urinary system. When stones attempt to exit your body, you’re faced with the sensation that comes from this movement.
Squeezing a golf ball through your urinary tract system could cause throbbing pain and additional health issues, which you may be experiencing now. Which of the following symptoms of kidney stones are you experiencing?
- Lower back pain
- Burning sensation when you urinate
- Frequent urination
- Reduced amount of urine exiting your bladder
- Difficulty sitting
- Trouble sleeping
- Fever or chills
- Hematuria - blood in your urine
- Foul smelling urine
- Urine backup
- Profuse sweating
There are several types of kidney stones that could be causing your pain. Let’s meet them.
Meet the Stones Making You Miserable
There are four types of kidney stones.
- Calcium: Calcium kidney stones are the most common type of stone and are usually the result of eating foods with a high oxalate level.
- Uric Acid: Although possible in women, uric acid kidney stones are more common in men. Uric acid kidney stones may be caused by gout, consuming an excess of fish and shellfish, or chemotherapy.
- Struvite: More common in women, struvite kidney stones are caused by infections, including UTIs.
- Cystine: The rarest form of kidney stones, cystine stones form from cystine acid leaking from your kidneys. The acid enters into your urine, causing the stones.
Seek Freedom and Relief from the Control Kidney Stones Have on Your Life with Dr. Paul Kenworthy Urology
“I have been stone-free for several months now and feel great!” - A satisfied Dr. Paul Kenworthy Urology Patient
You want freedom from the pain your kidney stones are causing you, so live the pain-free life you deserve. Dr. Paul R. Kenworthy will guide you through your options and develop a plan for relief.
Dr. Paul Kenworthy is a urological health expert with decades of experience resolving urological issues for patients, bringing them relief, comfort, and peace of mind. Dr. Kenworthy utilizes progressive technology, innovation, and compassion when caring for you.
Kidney stone treatment options we may explore together include:
- Shock Wave Lithotripsy (SWL): SWL embraces shock wave technology to fragment your kidney stones into smaller, more manageable pieces to pass. The process is completed outside of your body.
- Cystoscopy/Ureteroscopy: A cystoscope or ureteroscope is an instrument used to visually observe inside of your urinary tract. This procedure will reveal what is going on inside your system and may be able to resolve your issue.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy: A minimally invasive procedure, Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy requires making a small hole in the kidney to remove kidney stones that are not able to pass through your urinary tract.
Stop the Excruciating Pain Kidney Stones are Causing!
Dr. Paul Kenworthy’s Tips to Live Kidney Stone Free
“Your lifestyle and eating habits make all the difference.” - Dr. Paul Kenworthy
If you are ready to commit to preventing kidney stones from returning or occurring in the first place, Dr. Kenworthy recommends to do the following:
- Juices high in citrate (lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice)
When you are not consuming enough water, your urine is more concentrated, which is less likely to dissolve the urine salts that result in kidney stones.
Consume foods rich in calcium
Whether currently dealing with a painful kidney stone exiting your body or concerned about your urological health, find relief at Dr. Paul Kenworthy Urology.
Patients are our #1 Priority
"I highly recommend him."
"My experience with the staff was outstanding. They were all so friendly and professional as was Dr Kenworthy. His professionalism is only out-shined by his knowledge."
Patient Review • Groveton, TX
February 8, 2017
"Warm & Inviting Office"
"Every question I had was answered thoroughly. They went above and beyond to be friendly, and I left feeling completely satisfied with my visit."
Patient Review • Conroe, TX
August 27, 2012
"Professional Care & Expertise"
"I always get sound, helpful and completely unbiased advice. After leaving Dr. Kenworthy was able to help me and I've never seen an employer treat their staff better!"
Patient Review • The Woodlands, TX
November 2, 2011
"This is the place to go"
"The doctors are great. Very happy with everything from office visits to surgery. I can't praise them enough. This IS the place to go. I give them a 100%"
Patient Review • Huntsville, TX
February 14, 2017
"Dr. Kenworthy and his team are truly amazing!"
"Dr. Kenworthy took the time to answer detailed questions. I was fortunate that he was able to diagnose my issues (kidney stones) and treat them appropriately. I have been stone-free for several months now and feel great! Professional staff and great nurses."
Patient Review • College Station, TX
July 22, 2017